10K I have generated as much as 400 watts over that distance

So you can _average_ 400 W for 16 kilometers ("10K") (i.e., for
about 25 minutes)?
How did you measure that power output?

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
article(s) at the end because it's annoying, shows that the poster
is too lazy to trim his article, and it's wasting the time of all readers.

You measure that output by weight, approximated frontal area, wind speed and time for the distance. Power meters cannot give you a more accurate reading than that. In fact, the most common power meters are built-in to cranks. Aside from the fact that most only read directly from half a crank, they also do not read accurately for actual power. They read via distortion of the cranks meaning that you have to have precise control of the metallurgy and perfect installation angle.

They are all calibrated Tom.

For instance, last year I did 10K into a 20 mph wind in 21 minutes. The combined weight was 94 kg and the frontal area about .79 meters^2.

Almost 46 km/hr into a headwind of 32 km/hr for 16 km? Indeed you a Pro level material Tom at your age. Hat off.

The only real accurate power meters are rear hub mechanisms which can be fully machined so that every component is as accurate as possible.

Rear hub power meters don't take drive train losses into account. I put my money on well calibrated crank or pedal based power meters.

Lou
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home