Old August 13th 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Can not get bike to shift gears properly

On 8/13/2019 10:48 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 5:47:34 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/12/2019 7:33 PM, AK wrote:
I have taken my bike to 2 different shops to have my gears adjusted.

They do not shift properly and end up "clicking" instead of shifting into the correct gear.

I have had 2 shops adjust the bike and the adjustment never lasts more than 3 or 4 days.

My chain and all components are very clean.

What's is going on?

Andy

If two shops gave it any attention I'll assume the chain is
not too worn, nor the changer, and that it has reasonably
straight chainline and that the gear tab (or adapter in your
case) is straight.

Which leads me to think that, absent gross problems above,
your Huffy, as so many inexpensive indexed bicycles,may have
spiral casing and coarse gear wires. If that's so, a sub-$20
gear cable/casing set will be an improvement. Get 5mm if at
all possible rather than 4mm although either will work.

Your LBS is not your enemy, usually. They're maybe busy
and/or distracted but not evil. If you return to the most
recent shop which serviced it, ask the guy what he
recommends to improve shift reliability and particularly if
a cable set would be helpful. Print this and bring it with you.

I have seen the same thing happen when no cable ends were used. The outer slowly pulls through the eyelet shortening the outer and causing bad shifting. That is why these plastic end caps that anyone can press on manually are such a boon for the home mechanic. Though the latest Park cable cutter has a much higher grade cable end crimper.

Plastic casing caps? Never!
Damned things cause more trouble than they cure.
We like plated brass casing caps.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/