Old August 26th 19, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default WTB Suntour CYCLONE BB Spindle

On 26/8/19 7:17 am, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Out of curiosity - why would you use an old and not very efficient
way to do things then you could buy a normal cartridge BB that
will last you the rest of your life since it is sealed to keep dirt
out?

Sealed BBs don't last forever. They seem to last about as long as
loose ball BBs, but with less maintenance along the way.

Square-taper sealed cartridge BBs do flex substantially more than
traditional cup-and-cone BBs, because the spindle overhangs the
bearings by a longer distance. The first time I saw cartridge BBs
was in the new fleet of rental bikes at the shop where I worked in
1992. The first test ride I did after building one up made me think
something was broken, because the pedals dove so far underneath the
BB shell.

And then came outboard BB designs. Bigger axle diameter and bearings
closer to the crank makes for much less flex and longer lasting bearings.

--
JS