Old September 3rd 19, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default 28 mph e-bikes

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 10:32:32 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/2/2019 12:19 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 20:55:05 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other living things present.

Wouldn't it be even safer if people walked :-)

Not according to research by John Pucher of Rutgers. His numbers show
pedestrians have over three times the fatality-per-mile rate of bicyclists.

But could that be that is because there are three times as many of
them :-)

British data also shows cycling to be safer per mile than walking. Ditto
some old Australian data, and IIRC several European countries.

For example
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...jan/11/fitness
I read that Presumably cycling is more dangerous than walking? Not so
- 671 pedestrians were killed in 2004, at a rate of 43 per billion km.
Really? But why compare auto's that travel at, perhaps 60 kmh and
bicycles that travel perhaps 30 kmh with pedestrian that maybe travel
4 kmh.

After all 43/billion is (if I got my numbers right) 1/23235813 km. At
4 km/h that is 663 years, or what about 9.5 lifetimes?

Walking is dangerius?
--

Cheers,

John B.