Old September 3rd 19, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Does anything dissolve paint thinner

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 20:46:18 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

I am not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to share what I have learned.
You used good test methods.

I like tests that produce numbers. Numbers can be compared and such
tests are allegedly reproducible. What I did was do what I could
(without cleaning up my messy workbench).

Your comment about

few more greases that are more likely to be found on a
bicycle chain.

got me very interested.

I recently had my local bike shop install a new chain.
I did not use any chain lubricant.

Did you feel any grease on the chain? New chains, out of the box, are
delivered covered with the factory grease and in a plastic bag to
prevent the grease from making a mess. The grease is quite good
quality and is distributed properly around the pin and bushing, which
are the important bearing surfaces. If the LBS (local bike shop)
"cleaned" the chain with solvent, and failed to re-lubricate it with
something (grease, wax, dry lube, PTFE, magic miracle lube, etc) then
the chain will wear quickly. However, quickly is measure in miles or
km. It sounds like you didn't ride very far or much, which is far
less than it takes to ruin a chain. I suggest you go back to your LBS
and ask them what they did and what they recommend you now do.

Within less than a week, my chain had a coating of grease.
So I thought, where did that grease come from?

Magic. The factory grease is usually all over the chain. However, if
the LBS wiped off the grease from side plates, it might look like
there was no grease, but there might have been plenty inside the chain
parts. A little warm sun and some riding, would eventually migrate
this grease to other parts of the chain. Otherwise, it has to be
magic.

I understand where the dirt comes from.
I remembered that I pretty much always ride at least once a week through water puddles or rain.

Water + non-lubricated bicycle chain = rust
So you see any rust on the chain? If not, the chain was coated with
some kind of chain lube or protective coating (LPS 3 wax).

So I think that water + rain = grease.

Rain is water, so adding additional water does not produce anything
new. Well, maybe if it's raining oil. Do you live under an oil well
or something similar? A storm or hurricane that just over-ran an oil
field or oil spill?

For a while I used 70% isopropyl alcohol to pull out the water
when I wanted to pull the water out of something so it would dry quickly.

70% IPA is formulated specifically for its antiseptic qualities. Most
bacteria are killed by alcohol by denaturing proteins. A little water
makes the process more efficient. 91% IPA is better for cleaning.
Note that both concentrations are hygroscopic and will absorb water
from the air. Keep the container closed.

I later learned that 90% IPA was much more efficient.

For cleaning 91% is best. For medicinal purposes, 70% works better.

What do you think?

Now that you've removed some of the grease with alcohol, you should do
something about re-lubricating the chain. I don't ride enough to
require regular chain lubrication, so I'll keep my magic chain elixir
formula to myself. However, I'm sure that there are plenty of others
in this newsgroup who will gladly offer their experience and
methodology.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D