Old September 6th 19, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default No bearing = no bearing problems

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 8:01:52 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 10:13:49 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Chalo, What do you call those crank standards that fit the
press-in bearings BBs? They are narrower than the 386.

There are too many Johnny-come-lately nonstandard BB standards to keep track of them all. When I run across one I can't identify (rarely, because my shop is mostly commuters and thrifty upcyclers), I consult a table like Park Tool's.

My last mystery solved was a State brand disc brake CX bike with an eccentric BB. When I pulled the thing out, I thought, "this doesn't look quite big enough to be a tandem eccentric shell" and also "f**k me-- a new superfluous GD BB standard".

Turns out it was a regular BMX/OPC type shell with a couple of big set screws welded on. That customer got a tubular CrMo crank which was cheaper and cooler than what had been in the original plan.

I picked up an FSA crank and it was too narrow for my 386 cups. Eventually I used the rings off of it.

That's why you buy a 386 crank for 386 threaded BB.

-- Jay Beattie.