Old July 2nd 20, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wolfgang Strobl[_3_]

Default Remembering how to tie my shoes, going back for a do-rag

Am Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:23:33 +0200 schrieb Rolf Mantel
:

Am 01.07.2020 um 23:27 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
On 7/1/2020 4:39 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Speaking of shoes: I recently took delivery of a new pair of cycling
shoes. It involved quite a search, since I don't use clipless pedals
(that a person clips into). I like toe clips and straps. I needed to
find shoes that came with a proper cleat cover, and it seems those are
becoming rare. Plus, I'm not into psychedelic shoe colors.

With double-sided SPD platform pedals and endless SPD stealth-shoe
styles, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use toe clips,
particularly on a tandem.

Personally, I frequently ride without "suiting up." In the last couple
of weeks, I've ridden that tandem twice with a little kid on the back
(using a kid-back attachment I fabricated myself, years ago). Should I
really have donned special shoes to ride 7 miles on neighborhood
streets, or two miles to a store and back?

The double-sided SPD pedals would work after a fashion, but if I were
not in SPD shoes I'd be on flat pedals without toe clips. For me, that's
less desirable.

The double-sided SPD pedals are the best compromise between special
shoes for longer distances and "normal shoes" for going into town only.

Perhaps. I got rid of my two sided M323 in 2008 on the bicycle used in
winter, because I disliked the reduced clearance in curves.

It it's not worth putting on special cycling shoes, the lack of foot
retention does not matter either.

Right. On the other hand, it is amazingly easy to ride on M520 with
sturdy shoes, when retention doesn't matter.

On the 7 miles to work, I forget to
put on the cycling shoes maybe once a year and I'm too lazy to go back
into the house again, the difference is quite noticable.

Indeed. It's just like riding on a classic rubber-block pedal. Riding
on M520 or similar with sturdy shoes is like riding on worn out classic
rubber-block pedals. I is something to avoid, but usefull on occasion.

But I would never want to ride those 7 milse with something as inferior
as toe clips vs. SPD the rest of the year just to get an improvement for
that one day per year.

Interestingly, my wife is perfectly able to switch between what I'd call
"rubber-block pedal riding" on her old and trusty utility bike and how
we ride on our road bikes. It is a different style. I mostly avoid
riding in groups, but when riding on my road bike together with people
on standard biycles, I notice that it's actually easier to do by not
using the SPD mechanics.
--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen