Old March 20th 17, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights for Bicycles.

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 18:54:54 -0700, sms
wrote:

When
cycling rates rose, they should have risen as fast as the population
went up.

Nope. If nothing changed except the population, the cycling rate
should remain constant because it's based on a percentage of that
population. Of course, everything else also changes, so it's unlikely
to be a constant rate.

"Nighttime Cycling: Accidents, Lights, and Laws in Europe"
http://www.beezodogsplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/huhn2013_Nighttime-Cycling-Accidents.pdf
"This suggests that the different rules have only a marginal
impact on the safety of bicycle traffic in the dark. Only a
small number of nighttime accidents can be clearly attributed
to the lack of lights: Other major risk factors are driving
or riding under the influence of alcohol, higher driving
speeds on empty roads at night and impaired night vision
especially in older drivers."

However, the article then blunders onward under:
"The importance of bike lights in accidents"
which makes me wonder if this is actually a contradiction between the
data collected, and the Abstract/Summary. Offhand, I would suspect
that this is one of those reports, where the data is owned by the
researcher, but the conclusions are owned by whomever funded the
study.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D