Old March 20th 17, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights for Bicycles.

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 2:27:30 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped
And again, logic would indicate helmet mandates and promotion would have
to have some dissuading effect; the only question is the size of that
effect. Obviously, _some_ people will not ride if told they must wear a
helmet. _Some_ people will not ride if told bicycling is so dangerous
that protective headgear is necessary. How would those ever be
compensated by people who say "Oh, it's that dangerous? And I'm not
allowed to ride without that ugly hat? Great! Now I'm convinced to take
up bicycling!"

--
- Frank Krygowski

Amazing how almost every tpoic here eventually morphs into a helmet slugfest of for and against. ;)

As far as not riding because a law says you have to do something. Well a lot of people don't want to ride a bicycle with brakes either. A lot of people do not want to have to STOP at a stop sign or red light. In short, those who don't want to ride will ALWAYS find some excuse or the other.

BTW, on the weekend I rode through a small city that had some interesting signage. One sign onto a busy main road stated "NO LEFT TURNS - BICYCLES EXCEPTED" and another sign on a one way street said "ONE WAY STREET - BICYCLES EXCEPTED. Thus you have two cases where things that a drive wouldn't expect to see are permitted for bicycle riders and in my opinion that's not very safe for the bicycle rider.

Cheers