Old April 5th 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default High visibility law yields no improvement in safety

On Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 2:25:50 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

We shouldn't be telling people they have to
change clothes before they ride a bike, just as we shouldn't be telling
people they need to change clothes before going for a walk.

Instead, maybe we should send jbeattie to mullah-land for some attention
training. Consulting an ophthalmologist there is cheaper than in Portland, too.

When I go for a walk after dark, I always wear light-colored clothing.

"Light" colors, in grayscale-value, might not be farther distanced from the
visual backdrop than black. So don't feel safe just yet, you also need a
strong pedestrian safety flasher. And for a walk in the park in Toxic
Theresa's England, this gear is "absolutely" essential, as any guerilla
marketing expert knows:

At least mullah-land has bright sun. When you go outside and everything is cement colored, including the sky -- and your eyes are doing that switch from cones to rods -- someone in cement and asphalt colors blends right in, particularly when coming down a descending road with the road surface as a back drop -- and particularly with wet pavement and headlight glare or light glare from other sources on the road. And at night, pedestrians in all black might as well be invisible. Why be invisible? I'm no DRL fan, but I use a blinky when there is hard over-cast and low light.

-- Jay Beattie.