Old February 18th 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default my fixie doesn't need improvement

On 2018-02-17 01:28,
wrote:
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 7:32:10 PM UTC+1, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Actually, in some situations ye olde friction shifters are
better than anything that came later. In situations where you
must quickly shift from a very high gear straight to almost the
lowest, that can be achieved in about one second simple by an
opposite flick of thumb and index finger on the downtube
levers. Only with friction shifters. Ok, a Rohloff or a similar
hub transmission could also do that. Can Di2?

Of course.

So give us some numbers here, in seconds. How long does it take to
shift from large-small to small large, in one swoop? Faster than
this below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHJ7KoJIys

3-3.5 sec.

See? Just what I said, this is _way_ slower than good and well
maintained friction shifters. My road bike is only 7-speed but Di2 would
never be able to rival the shifting speed of friction. Brifters, yes,
but it can't hold a candle to friction.

... (11 speed ) under full load and out of the saddle if you
want (it will make some noise) and the FD is trimmed after that. You
can shift front and rear at the same time.

You can shift front plus back with just about any other shifter as well
and I do that a lot.

I can shift a lot faster than that with friction shifters. Not
with indexed ones on the handlebar or drifters.

I don't think so.

It is so. Have you ever had them?

.. ... One may have some reasons to prefer friction
shifters but speed of shifting can't be a reason. Strange that Pro
riders don't use friction shifters anymore because they like fast
shifting.

That is because in Europe "pro" means road racing. I have always
preferred paths off the beaten track even well before there were mounain
bikes.

Maybe you have the Di2-n version with a nuclear drive ...

No just standard Ultegra Di2.

Yes, and it's slow.

--
Regards, Joerg