Old November 15th 11, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chip C

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame? ... no kickstand???

On Nov 15, 12:41*pm, Chip C wrote:
On Oct 12, 1:47*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Hi there.

I'm rethinking getting aSurlyLong Haul Trucker frameset.

I was about to go to the shop to get measured for aSurlyLong Haul
Trucker frame.

*BUT*

TheSurlywebsite says that there is only a *3 year limited warranty*
on the frame and also *Not* to use akickstandas the frame is not
designed for the loads akickstandcan produce. This is with either a
chainstay mounted one or one that mounts on the rear chainstay/
seatstay area.

This frame's regular price here is $550.00 CDN and is on sale for
$340.00 for a short time on existing stock.

Why only a 3 year warranty on a steel frame? I expected a lifetime
limited warranty at least on a steel touring frame. A 3 year limited
warranty on what's suposed to be a quality steel heavy duty touring
frame just doesn't make sense to me. Even many department store steel
BSOs have lifetime warranties on the frame. Again, why such a short
warranty period fromSurlyfor the LHT frame? Has the quality dropped
a lot from what it used to be?

Any light you can shed on why there's such a short warranty period
will be immensely appreciated by me.

Cheers from Peter

Over and above the 3 year thing, where is the shop getting the no-kickstandrule? I sure don't see that anywhere onSurly'ssite.

Chip C
Toronto

D'oh. Asking improves one's eyesite.
http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew..._haul_truckers