Old October 11th 18, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On 2018-10-10 09:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/10/2018 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgybEXkhvHQ

"At Exposure, we feel it's as important to use good lights throughout
the day, as well as at night."

... um, because we're trying to sell the things, of course!

I don't use flash mode on my front lights though.

Then you disagree with the source you cited?

No. Those bright lights are visible enough in non-flash mode.

Speaking of visible enough: My wife and I just returned from a little
ride. We rode out to the suburban branch of our credit union to cash a
check, then a bit beyond it into sort of semi-rural roads. We returned
by different roads. We were on some quiet residential streets, some
former farm roads that are now short cuts to housing developments, a bit
on an arterial road or two with 50 mph traffic, etc. Quite a few miles
were on lanes that were obviously too narrow to share (like 9 feet wide)
so we rode at lane center.

As usual, we had no problems with any drivers. (Well, except a couple
who were clogging things up while they seemed to be looking for
entrances to some obscure businesses). And there was absolutely no
indication that anyone had any trouble seeing us.

Apparently, we were visible enough. Our bikes both had dynamo powered
lights, but neither of us had them on.

It is all relative to the surroundng conditions. In the past on one of my
commutes, i had a heady 12v battery and a 50W whte halogen to the front
and a 25 red halogen to the rear simple for the short section of main
road through a commercial area full of neon signs, etc.

Other dark places, a few 3" reflectors do the job very well and lighting
is only to improve your vision and keep plod happy.