Old January 2nd 19, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Bike Ride (is that OT now?]

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 17:27:55 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 4:37:06 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/1/2019 3:52 PM, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ny19.html

I'm jealous. My bronchial thing is keeping me from riding, despite dry
roads and pretty moderate temperatures. Our club had its annual 1/1
ride, but I didn't go.

I feel like a whimp because it was icy, and I decided to go for a walk rather than a ride. My wife and I walked a few miles to some friends' house to attend their annual Swedish pancake New Years day extravaganza. Then we waddled home. Four miles and a net calorie gain. I did work on my son's Roubaix because I'm his personal mechanic.

More bike content -- there is a surprising amount of slop in the interface between the Shimano centerlock rotor spines and the hub splines -- at least on my son's bike. With the brakes locked, you can rock the front wheel back and forth like the bike has a loose headset, which it doesn't since I just repacked his cartridges and correctly adjusted the headset. Just plain old slop -- confirmed by complaints on the interweb.

Given that one normally only brake with the wheels turning one
direction is the slop really important? Assuming normal use don't the
disk spline simply apply force to one side of the hub splines and
never to the opposite side? After all most splined joints have some
play, if only a little, to allow them to be assembled. In addition
tapered and involute splines are self centering under load.

cheers,

John B.