Old August 13th 03, 07:17 AM
Tony W

Default Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences?

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

I'd agree that £300 is better, if you happen to have it, and also I'd
avoid spending less than ~£200. But between the two there's an area
where you can get something better in just about every way than what I
paid £200 for back in '89, when £200 was worth rather more than it is
now. And that bike did me very well for the best part of a decade, just
putting on better bits as the originals wore out.

It also depends on what type of bike you want. A pretty good hardtail MTB
can be had for 250 GBP but a good, basic (disc free), mid range one will
leave little change from about 600 GBP.

For a full sus you can get a worthless clunker for peanuts or spent a grand
on a real entry level machine.

A nice hybrid can be purchased from 200 up and by 300 its going to be pretty
good.

A 'road' bike (racer/audax/tourer) probably needs 500 or so to get you
started and more than a grand would be easy to spend.

Yes, a good, basic bike can be had for 200-300 notes -- but if this is the
budget then best value will be had by going for a nice sensible hybrid --
which will do everything OK but nothing spectacularly.