Old December 4th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 12:54:42 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/4/2017 11:26 AM, Joerg wrote:

What is causing this bike market downturn?

a) Helmet promotion

b) Flashing daytime running lights and 1500+ lumen front lights with
wide beams

c) The resurgence of steel frames

Seriously, if you read Bicycle Retailer News, you can see that many
companies are doing very well while others are struggling. But bicycle
imports are down overall even while some categories are up.

Thule is doing great. Shimano is doing great.

Some stores are adding locations. Some stores are closing locations.

Trek has been lowering prices and Specialized has been raising prices.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/studi...ough-september

One thing that is probably really hurting bicycle shops is
direct-to-consumer sales of parts, accessories, and clothing, from
retailers and manufacturers outside the U.S.. These sales are not part
of industry data. I know that personally I've purchased quite a few
items from several retailers Europe and Asia . . .

That is because you are an anti-American communist. Once we pass the Trump tax plan and lower the corporate tax rate, all the corporations will return to the USA -- Shimano, Campagnolo, Mavic, Michelin, etc., etc. All the parts we used buy from other countries will be made in the USA again!

-- Jay Beattie.