Old December 4th 17, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

On 2017-12-04 12:54, sms wrote:
On 12/4/2017 11:26 AM, Joerg wrote:

What is causing this bike market downturn?

a) Helmet promotion

Huh? If someone promotes soap operas and I don't like soap operas, how
is that making me not buying a TV set to watch Westerns?

b) Flashing daytime running lights and 1500+ lumen front lights with
wide beams

I see that rarely. Most people have those puny flashlight on a plastic
clamp. Or worse, nothing at all and at the most a wimpy tail light with
an already leaking depleted battery. A blinding 1500 lumen light is like
a car high-beam and would be flagged by police soon.

c) The resurgence of steel frames

That is a good thing IMHO. Still riding my steel road bike.

Seriously, if you read Bicycle Retailer News, you can see that many
companies are doing very well while others are struggling. But bicycle
imports are down overall even while some categories are up.

Thule is doing great. Shimano is doing great.

Some stores are adding locations. Some stores are closing locations.

Trek has been lowering prices and Specialized has been raising prices.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/studi...ough-september

Quote "... front-suspension 29ers posted 11 percent growth, and 27.5
full-suspension bike shipments rose 4 percent ..."

Got to know where the market is. Just like the car guys have to.
Sometimes sedans are en vogue, sometimes SUVs.

One thing that is probably really hurting bicycle shops is
direct-to-consumer sales of parts, accessories, and clothing, from
retailers and manufacturers outside the U.S..

No wonder. Dealers and middlemen have to be less greedy. When they want
$17 for a pair of sub-par resin brake pads that last 500mi while I can
buy a pair in almost motorcycle grade for $2 from Hangzhou that lasts
1000mi and more, why are they surprised?

... These sales are not part
of industry data. I know that personally I've purchased quite a few
items from several retailers Europe and Asia, not because of price, but
because lack of availability in the U.S.. But also I've purchased quite
a few items from an LBS that is not local to me. tinyurl.com/notatlbs

Manufacturer direct to consumer sales also don't show up in BPSA sales
figures to dealers. It seems that a lot of people have some connection
direct to the manufacturer, which bypasses the bicycle store completely,
both for complete bicycles and for parts, clothing, and accessories.

I think it can be summed up in very few words: Amazon, EBay, and similar.

If they don't track that the data is fairly useless. They've got to
track it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/