Old June 30th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default breathing on climbs

I am looking for strategies of breathing when it comes to climbing
hills. While I admit that I usually beat my ride partners up the
hills, I feel as though I am breathing harder than is necessary. I
have tried to slow my conserve my breathing because once I get halfway
up the hill, and the steepness hasn't really changed, my heart feels
like it's going to beat out of my chest. Then, once I get over the
hill, my speed slows down and then the other riders either catch up to
me, or pass me by as I recover. I know I'm doing something wrong, but
I am not sure what it is. I'm wondering if maybe I am using brute
strength to get up the hill, but I am not controlling or regulating my
breathing to the point that I might actually get up the hill faster and
with less stress so that I can maintain the pace even after I get over
the hill.

What are some are some home-grown strategies that some of you have when
it comes to tackling the hills?