Old July 3rd 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default breathing on climbs

mieshie wrote:
I am looking for strategies of breathing when it comes to climbing
hills. While I admit that I usually beat my ride partners up the
hills, I feel as though I am breathing harder than is necessary. I
have tried to slow my conserve my breathing because once I get halfway
up the hill, and the steepness hasn't really changed, my heart feels
like it's going to beat out of my chest. Then, once I get over the
hill, my speed slows down and then the other riders either catch up to
me, or pass me by as I recover. I know I'm doing something wrong, but
I am not sure what it is. I'm wondering if maybe I am using brute
strength to get up the hill, but I am not controlling or regulating my
breathing to the point that I might actually get up the hill faster and
with less stress so that I can maintain the pace even after I get over
the hill.

What are some are some home-grown strategies that some of you have when
it comes to tackling the hills?

You might want to install a chain set with a smaller cog to get up the
hills. You don't discuss your cadence, but it sounds like you're
overexerting to get up the hill, and your buddies pass you while you
recover.

Try to keep your cadence in a range you're used to, say 80-100. You'll
be a bit slower on the upslope, but you won't have that recovery time
at the top of the hill.