Old July 10th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usage.english
Whiskers[_2_]

Default AG: Cleaning agent

On 2017-07-09, Duane wrote:
Paul Carmichael wrote:
El 09/07/17 a las 10:46, John Dunlop escribió:
Joy Beeson:

I'm tempted to cross-post this to alt.usage.english -- I dithered
so over whether to say "unshipped" "shipped" or "re-shipped". The
incident was unshipping, but it was shipping that got my fingers
dirty.

You could carry a pair of latex gloves for those on-the-road
repairs. They take up almost no space, and if you're careful
they're reusable dozens of times.

On an international forum, I suspect that my best bet would be to
get wordy and say "I had to put my chain back on the chainwheel".

"Unshipped" would be understood in BrE too, but I'd be more likely
to simply say "my chain came off".

The more unlikely term is "chainwheel". I'd say that's pretty rare
in BrE, foreign-sounding even. It's usually "chainring" for the cogs
at the front

Front sprocket to me. Maybe from owning motorcycles.

Never heard it referred to as anything but a chain ring. Maybe it's a
local thing.

I'm sure it's down to the sort of bike. Single-speed or hub gear
roadsters have a chainwheel - one piece, attached to the shaft which is
driven by the pedals. Cheaper models may even have the pedal crank and
chainwheel cast as one piece. Bikes with derailleur gears can have more
than one 'chainwheel', and logically it makes sense to have a 'spider'
fitted to the pedal shaft with attachment points for two or more 'chain
rings'.

--
-- Whiskers