Old November 26th 18, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default understanding the RockShox suspension pump and valve

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 4:41:42 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Gregory Sutter wrote:

I have the same pump. It's a common one,
resold under many brand names, probably
because it's inexpensive and works well.

Possibilities:

- loss of a small amount of air when disconnecting pump
- shock--pump pressure equalization when connecting pump
- slow leak from shock
- gauge hysteresis or inaccuracy

At a guess, I'd rate them in that order
of likelihood.

I think you are right because "slow leak from
shock", wouldn't that mean the chamber would be
*empty* pretty soon?

So if we believe in your reasons 1 and 2, what
is the implication of that? Say you want
120psi, maybe you should put in 120psi and then
some - 125psi?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Sometimes a slow leak in a bicycle tire will only drop pressure to a certain point wherein the pressure is now low enough that the slow leak stops until the pressure is topped up by the user again. Perhaps the same thing is happening with your shocks?

Cheers