Old February 4th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Horst link bending forces

On 2018-02-03 14:53, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 03 Feb 2018 07:39:28 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-02-02 18:33, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 16:50:56 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-02-02 16:35, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 02 Feb 2018 08:01:18 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

[...]

As for clamps see https://tinyurl.com/y97t6n2b The 19th
shows a clamp that can be installed without protruding
parts and several other examples are shown further down
the page.

The kind with the "U-turn screws" is what I'd probably use
if needed and then cap nuts on the ends. Towards the wheel
it'll be tight, not much room.

Well, then don't spend any time or effort in strengthening
the struts. After all it is not as though a huge portion of
the 18 million bicycles sold in the U.S. between 2013 and
2015 have broken.

MTB? You've got to be kidding. That's why MTB riders carry
cable ties and sometimes duct tape.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/inde...n-frame.21124/

And how many of the 18 million or so bikes sold from 2013 - 2015
broke. Or even easier, how many bicycles in California broke in
the same period?

Only a small fraction, mainly because most bikes become garage
queens. Garage queens become dusty but they don't get hurt.

There is one guy here in the NG who broke several Cannondale
frames. One of the more serious accidents in our family happened
when my dad's bicycle frame broke.

Everything breaks after enough fatigue cycles. I've failed a bunch of
frames, but have never been injured because of one, and for you, a
failed rear linkage will not put you over the bars.

It's the top strut that could break. Won't put me over the bar but could
cause an all day (or night) walk. BTDT, after a rear tire blew and lost
a chunk of material.

I've seen injuries with fork failures (TK being a prime example) and
with early Al MTB front-end failures. I saw some front-ends detach,
although after big impacts that would have ejected the rider in any
event. I'm not in the know with MTBs, but it seems that suspension
failures would just result in a crippled bike rather than a crippled
rider.

It depends. If my rear shock detached the bike would bottom out. The
posterior mount of that loosened twice, last time on Wednesday, but now
I learned the symptoms and carry a 2nd 5mm Allen wrench in a pocket so I
can check tightness once in a while without having to unpack the tool kit.

If you are concerned, you need to buy a steel hard-tail fat bike --
or a full rigid steel fat bike.

I need full-suspension because of a lower back issue. I am hoping some
day there will be a Ti-frame for a 29er, or at least 27-1/2" suitable
for 3" tires. However, I am thankful that my current bikes are not
carbon fiber (the road bike is Reynolds steel, as it should).

Fat bikes aren't suitable for the trails I use because their tires would
fail very soon.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/