Old February 10th 08, 02:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Everyone rides!

On 2008-02-10, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

The Age: In the land of the Dutch Black, the cyclist is king of the road
- Debra Mayrhofer (February 11, 2008)
http://tinyurl.com/2d6kld

***

The Age yet again continuing a theme of positive cycling articles with
a pleasant overview on utility cycling in Amsterdam.

The closest I could think of in regards to "Dutch Black" is Fitzroy
Safety Black worn by locals, which is fortunately is becoming slightly
more uncommon, as people discover other lovely colours of the rainbow &
decent lights.

Despite the lack of helmets, cycling in the Netherlands is safer
than in any other country, and the Dutch have one-third the
number of cycling fatalities (per 100,000 people) that Australia
has.

Euan will look this up in a flash -- that means *per 100,000 people*,
and not per 100,000 riders, doesn't it?

I can't be bothered looking up the CIA factsheet (darnit, I was meant
to be in bed 1.5 hours ago!) for the population of Holland, but that
would seem about right, which means, if the number of cycling trips is
about 2% of the overall number of trips in Australia, then their real
rate of injuries resulting when on the bike, is about 1/150th that of
Australia's.

--
TimC
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.