Old February 28th 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default IDIOTS ON BIKES ARE NOT AS DANGEROUS

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:21:36 +0100, Andrew Price
wrote:

Notice also that
Germany has extensive bike lanes, so it works like a zero tolerance
between cars and bicycles since they are separated.

They are separated only until the next intersection - and that's where
they become dangerous, and many cyclists have been killed by
right-turning motorists not seeing the cyclist.

Just curious--got any statistics to back that up? The reason I ask is
that during three years of riding on paths in Berlin, I found that the
drivers were pretty good about looking for cyclists before making a
right turn. I still did it instinctively (for awhile) when I got back
to the U.S.