Old January 3rd 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JQ

Default Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

On 1/2/2017 7:33 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2017 15:09:21 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

My last but one Gatorskin went, side wall damage, the usual. The side
wall on the rear tire looks iffy already and if that blows I'd have no
more spare for it. So it's time to refill the basement stack.
Unfortunately the CST Correre only comes in 700c*23mm. This leaves the
Gatorskin Hardshell with supposedly better side walls but ... the
700c*25 beaded is $48, ouch, too much. To my surprise the foldable is
"only" $39. Why is that?

I don't want the normal Gatorskins anymore because the side walls are
too flimsy.

If anyone knows about another new tire that is very puncture resistant
and low cost that would be nice. Weight does not matter and heavier is
usually better.

Question: How much tire pressure are you running? I used gatorskins
for a while and never had any sidewall problems.

As an aside, I had just as many punctures with gatorskins as I've had
with normal tires :-) But granted, we don't have any of those thorns
that you talk about.

I started using tire liners and I have been very pleased with them. Only
had one flat because I ran over a board with a long tack. You are able
to run the tire down much further than you could without the liners
making the cheaper tires work just as well. I haven't noticed a
performance loss either!

--
Ride fast, ride hard, ride for health and enjoyment... JQ Dancing on the
edge