Old June 6th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Secure the front wheel on a hitch mounted bike rack

On 5 Jun 2006 08:51:19 -0700, wrote:

forgive this question as i am new to triathlons and just purchased a
hitch mounted bike rack that looks something like this.....
www.lickbike.com/lickimages/3829.gif

I can secure my bike to the rack very easily. But what is the best way
to secure the front tire and the handle bars so they don't go flopping
around in the wind???

is there a better solution than just a bungee cord?

I take an old-style toe clip strap and run it through the wheel and
around the downtube. I don't think I'd try to do that with a carbon
frame, but on my old steel and aluminum bikes it works fine, and it
does double duty in keeping the wheel from spinning and flopping with
a single strap. On my roof rack, I use those same straps to secure
the wheels to the tray; they're easier to deal with than the stiff
plastic ratcheting gizmos from Yakima.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.