Old January 6th 04, 10:30 PM
Rocketman

Default Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude?

Since I bought a spare disc-ready wheelset, I thought maybe I'd give front
and rear disc brakes a try. My 2001 Klein Attitude has a 22mm (Hayes) mount
for a rear disc caliper (same as Trek). I was planning to get an A2Z 22mm
to 51mm adapter plate. Has anybody here tried the A2Z adapter on a Klein (or
Trek) hardtail? A Hayes 22mm hydraulic caliper with hose and lever is
$150+. Is there a cheaper/better option? What do you guys suggest?

Even if I do get the caliper issue sorted, the frame has no braze-ons for
hydraulic hose routing. So, that means using some klugey stick-on housing
guides that will muck-up the sleek looks of my Klein (which has internal
cable routing - a big selling point). I suppose routing the hoses under the
downtube and rear chainstay would be fairly stealthy; but it's still a
kluge. Arrgh. The European version of the Klein Attitude was available from
the factory with disc brakes. How did they route the hoses? (Photos would be
helpful if you know of any.)

I dunno. I'm thinking it's too much hassle and expense to go with rear
discs. I might just stick with a rear V-brake and front disc. It works
pretty good as-is, and keeps a lot of $$$ in my pocket.

Ideas?

Rocketman