Old May 23rd 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Default Grinding Coffee While on a Bicycle Tour

landotter wrote:
On May 23, 12:20 pm, SMS wrote:
As coffee aficionados know, coffee beans need to be ground just before
brewing in order to get the best flavor and the most anti-oxidants.

While I appreciate ingenuity and over engineering--coffee is best
ground by a commercial burr mill that does not oxidize the flavenoids
by heat the way that a crappy home blade grinder does.

Yeah, I knew someone would bring up blade grinding. You're right of
course, but AFAIK, there are no 12V burr grinders. I burr grind at home
of course.

Also, the
coffee will be even better a day or so after you grind, as it "gasses
off".

I find that it's awful after one day.

S tored tightly sealed in the freezer, commercially ground coffee
stays quite flavorful--much more so than home ground with an inferior
grinder, for a good month or so. I find that the German burr ginders
at Costco are the best in the industry--and their house French roast
from Costa Rican bean at the fair price with a good grind is as great
of a value in a cup of coffee as I've had anywhere in the world.

Yes, that's what I buy. Are you talking about the grinders for customers
to use in the store? They sell the Saeco burr grinder at Costco.com for
$69.99 including S&H which is a pretty good deal.

So for travel--better time is invested in going to your local pan-
Asian cookware shop and finding a good air tight coffee grounds
storage container with a cute Engrish phrase on it, or perhaps even
frogs and ducks!

I have one of those containers where you pump the air out of it. Same as
used on wine bottles. It's a good alternative to grinding on the road. I
guess if you buy beans at a coffee store, and have them grind them and
then store them in the airtight container it'd be fine too.