Old February 2nd 11, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

Default Forester says...

On Feb 2, 8:38*am, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 2/2/2011 11:26 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:

Except that it is your position that bicycles are not subject to the
slow-moving vehicle laws, which if true, would make hash of the
Forester quote. *It would mean that bicycles could take the lane
whenever it is "inconvenient" to ride as far right as practicable and
would never have to yield. *Also, "convenience" is not one of the
permissible reasons for not riding as far right as is "practicable."
Practicable means "feasible" and not "convenient." *In fact, I don't
even know what Forester means by "convenient." *To the extent the
quote merely reitrates the rules of the road for bicyclists, I've got
no issue with it except for the quaint need to give a special name to
cyclists who simply follow the applicable laws. -- Jay Beattie.

Where are you talking about where the rule is for cyclists to stay as
far right as practicable? *I quoted something similar in the Quebec
Highway code and the replies made it sound like this was a terrible
abomination and an infringement of my right to the road.

"Practicable" is the standard UVC term adopted in most US states.