Old April 18th 17, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Selecting An Appropriate Bolt

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 00:08:14 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:29:32 +0700, John B Slocomb
wrote:

If you want to talk length then yes. A bolt should be long enough that
one complete thread will be extend past the nut. but there is not
maximum length, un less, or course it hits the other side of the
automobile.

This is not true with AN hardware.AN hardware is spec'd by it's
diameter and grip length -and there is a stringent spec as to how much
thread must/may extend beyond the nut. You NEVER have threads within
the "grip"

Something must have changed with those AN people after the twenty
years I spent fixing their airplanes because the "one thread past the
nut" rule was certainly followed then. I've personally seen an Air
Force Inspector turn down an installation because the bolt didn't
protrude past the nut. (Which is likely why I remember it :-)