Old May 15th 17, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano Headset

On 2017-05-14 09:37, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:24:49 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped

Hint: A repetitive scraping noise is usually a sign of imminent
wear-out of some part. A derailer hanger coming apart on the 20mi
home isn't so cool because that means hoofing the remaining miles.

As unbelievable as it may sound I tend to invest that extra minute
or two to prevent such things.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

If you carried a chain-breaker you could shorten your chain when your
derailler hanger comes apart and then ride that 20mi home on the
single gear. Then you wouldn't have to worry about being stalked by
mountain lions.

I can do that without a chain breaker. However, Where I ride with my MTB
single gear won't help much. You'd be stuck all the time. I use almost
the whole gear range on every ride, jumping 4-6 gears all the time
because it has to happen fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You could simply put the chain onto a low gear and ride a bit slower. It'd still beat walking. But then again in your corner of the world nothing easy nor sensible (such as carrying a small multi-tool with a chain breaker on it) works. You'd rather scrounge rocks and rusty nails.

Cheers

In fairness, Joerg noted "single gear" which has only one
chain length (but too those have minimal chain troubles).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

How would you get chain suck with a single speed?