Old May 15th 17, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano Headset

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 7:05:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2017 08:54:22 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sun, 14 May 2017 15:00:55 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 14 May 2017 07:42:40 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 8:43:29 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2017 13:05:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 9:57:35 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:23:02 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 10:06:04 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
But then, to one who habitually uses a nail and a rock as a chain tool
the use of proper tools is probably a mystery.

Try to differentiate between an outdoors emergency situation and the
workshop in the garage. It's not that difficult.

-
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Which is hy mose of us carry a small tool repair kit that includes a chain-breaker. That way a broken chain isn't an ememrgency and a repair only takes a few seconds. After all seconds count when you're beig stalked by mountain lions or other hungry critters doesn't it? For someone who either breaks chains a lot or often comes across people with a broken chain (bother very rare where I ride even on the technical trails) it ONLY makes sense to have a chain breaker and spare link(s)and quick-link WITH YOU.

To be honest using a rock and rusty nail to repair a chain in the field sounds like something an armchair bicyclist would think up. Such a repaired chain would most likely fail again after only a short distance. Believe it or not there's good reasons why chain breakers are used to fix a chain.

Cheers

Out of curiosity I weighed and measured the chain tool that I carry in
my bike tool kit. It is 2-1/2 inches in length and 2-1/8 inches in
height. 1/2 inch thick, at its thickest, and weighs 2.6 ounces. It
works with chains up to and including 10 speed chains (I don't own an
11 speed). Frankly, as a broken chain immobilizes the bicycle I can
see no logic in not carrying it.

Since I have never once had a broken chain nor seen one I cannot see any
requirement to carry such a tool. Yesterday I did 55 miles and 2500
feet of climbing with some of it pretty steep ~12%. There were fore of
us there and the dirt encrusted on the bikes showed a certain lack of
careful maintenance. No one had any problems. I have been carrying all
these tools around for the last 6 years and the only one's I've used
are the tire repair tools.

Equally, I have had two crashes severe enough to break bones and in
neither did my head strike the ground. Thus, based on your logic,
there is no reason what so ever to wear a helmet.

There is almost no reason to wear a helmet under any conditions. If a

helmet was just barely able to protect me in a fall literally from 18"
what makes you think that a helmet can do anything other than protect
you from getting scratches on your head in a sideways fall at a dead
stop?

My oldest daughter hit her head on a concrete retaining wall hard
enough to crack the hardshell bike helmet and came away without a
scratch (on her head - she did get a bit of "road rash" elsewhere)-
and most certainly would have suffered a concussion without it. The
foam lining and hard plastic shell absorbed a LOT of impact.

Of course it happens. But equally, I had a run away horse run under an
apple tree and knock me off. In fact I was unconscious for a short
period. No helmet, and no concussion, or at least none that evidenced
any symptoms.

Similar situation but the took me off on hydro pole. Took me right
out of my boots - and my ribs were sore for a month.

But my post was in response to someone that stated that, he rode 50
miles and didn't need a chain tool, thus chain tools aren't necessary.
I, perhaps somewhat whimsically, pointed out that as I had two severe
crashes without injuring my head that helmets obviously weren't
necessary either.

Alternately, there have been a number of people that fell or jumped
out of airplanes without a parachute and survived. Which may prove
that parachutes aren't necessary either.

Any safety equipment that is not overly intrusive is worth using

I will agree to that with the stipulation that most crashes on a bike are fall-offs with the head only being the minor damage.