Old September 29th 03, 06:01 PM
Werehatrack

Default High-speed shimmy, Speed wobble

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:23:31 GMT, "Shayne Wissler"
may have said:

Is it probable that this
low-speed (~20MPH?) no-hands shimmy is from the same source as the violent
shimmy?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Observing that the problem appeared after the tire change, the
connection to the reduced diameter is possible but not proven.

An observation: Reducing the diameter of the front tire will move the
steerer axis more toward the vertical, which moves the point of
intersection of the steerer axis with the ground toward the tire's
contact patch. The distance between the axis intersection and the
patch is the "trail" of the fork. Insufficient trail will cause
exactly the problem that you describe...but if the amount of trail
before the tire swap was small enough that the change produced this
problem, I would be a bit surprised. If the bike has a suspension
fork, try cranking the preload up to the max, as that will tend to
minimize such a problem.

Somehow, though, I think the lbs is likely to find that there is
something else wrong. What I describe is, in my opinion, not terribly
likely to be the problem.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.