Old September 27th 17, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 11:05:51 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-09-26 01:58, somebody wrote:
On 25 Sep 2017 19:03:42 GMT, Robert Latest
wrote:

Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher
(90-serving canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to
pay around $25 in bulk, now it's around $40 with shipping.
We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more
reasonably priced?

Yes. Half a teaspoon of table salt per liter. Add two or
three of those fizzy nutrition supplement tablets for
additional minerals to taste. Just read the ingredients on
the original powder to find a long list of benign non-reasons
to buy it.

I use a potassium-based salt substitute. Cheap and it works.

Meaning it reliably prevents cramps and bonks? IOW the potassium
is the only ingredient in those drinks that a longhaul cyclist
really needs? I didn't know that but it sure would be nice.

No, you bonk because you're out of glycogen and not electrolytes.
Drink more beer. ...

Hence I repurposed my old office thermos and use it to carry homemade
IPA along on some long trips in the boonies where there are no pubs. No
Snickers bars though, my wife makes homemade bars with the good stuff in
there. Lots of nuts and bacon bits, among many other things.

So far I bonked only once, way back after I started riding again.

Does anyone know this stuff?

https://www.vitamonk.com/products/fo...rolyte-formula

I think the mention of "pink Himalayan Salt" might just be a giveaway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_salt
"Himalayan salt is rock salt or halite from the Punjab region of
Pakistan. No scientific evidence has been provided to prove that
Himalayan salt has substantial benefits compared to common salt, and
such claims should be treated as pseudoscience."

The price is right but unfortunately only pills. A bit low in magnesium
but I take those every day already because of back issues.

... Take a Snickers bar. Keep up your energy so you
can ride with the mountain lions. https://tinyurl.com/ya8vqq55

Cool. The only one we saw live didn't have a bike. But it took a
neighbor's dog :-(

I agree but you still have to maintain your electrolytes. Just drink
a Red Bull and that will be taken care of.

I prefer IPA :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.