Old October 12th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default FSA Policy

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:14:57 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I bought an FSA compact Gossamer crankset. This is the one with the latest MegaEVO 30 mm shaft on it. Very nice crankset.

Save for one little problem. They DO NOT MAKE ITALIAN BB CUPS for it.

Contacting them I'm told that since the only Italian company making Italian threaded BB's is Pinarello they decided not to make them.

Of course there are actually a dozen or more Italian custom bike frame makers that still use Italian BB's but there's no use in mentioning that to them.

So I will no longer buy nor recommend FSA components to anyone.

There is a private company in Italy that makes a BB that will fit the Pinarello but the cost of the BB and it's shipping is so high that I just bought an almost new Campy Chorus crank and cups for less.

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-BB-8200-M.../dp/B0096XQ6WS

That is the MegaExo. That is the 24 mm shaft. The latest is a 30 mm shaft and the BB is MegaEVO.

As you can see from that advertisement though, the cost of a ceramic BB is so high that it has reached the stage of a joke. Do you gain anything from these? No, steel ball bearings are rounder and wear better. But they are a millionth of an ounce lighter.