Old May 12th 04, 04:31 AM
Badger_South

Default Carbo loading before a race?

On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:50:04 -0300, "KB"
wrote:

hmmm....can't say I disagree with you since I really don't know the answer
for sure, but I know that I have recently read in textbooks that carbo
your muscles run out of glycogen, cramping etc. will occur...
I too am interested to hear what others here do..

The trick is this...

Eat the carbs, by themselves (i.e., not with fat or protein) and eat them
just before or just after the exercise. This will cause a rise in insulin,
but because of the needs of the body going into or finishing exercise, the
nutrients will be used to build muscle, and will not go into fat storage.

In between exercise, it's better for those predisposed to gain weight
(fat), to eat higher protein and good fat.

Works for me.

Just before a ride I will eat some small amt of carbs (couple pieces of
chocolate?), and finish with some diluted OJ. Then about two hours later
I'll eat the protein meal. Two or three hours after that, and just before
or after the next exercise period, I repeat.

I have found that even sugar free drinks or chewing gum will often suffice.
I think in some ppl, the sweet taste can cause a rise in insulin, and thus
movement of nutrient into muscles.

Obviously, the converse is true. Beware of eating sweet-tasting things
along with fat, b/c you might be one of those that has an insulin rise just
to the taste, even in the absence of digestible carbs/glucose.

-B