Old November 7th 05, 03:14 AM
Patrick Lamb

Default Lookout Mountain Parkway Information

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:10:46 -0600, HarryB wrote:

We are looking for information on biking the Lookout Mountain Parkway
which runs from Gadsen, AL to Chattanooga, TN. We would like to do day
trips on the Parkway, using DeSoto Falls State Park in Alabama and
Cloudland Canyon State Park in Georgia as bases.

Specifically we are wondering how hilly (or mountainous) the roads are
and if they are reasonably "bicycle friendly."

Disclaimer, I haven't cycled it, but I've driven it. (Dad lives on
157.)

The terrain is mostly gentle and rolling, with a few decent hills on
Ga. Highway 157. Off the top of my head, I think the most serious
hill is south of Vulcan Rd., about 3/4 mile; just a guess, about a 6%
grade. The first few miles south of the town of Lookout Mountain on
Lula Lake Rd. are narrow, twisty, and winding, although it straightens
out before you get to the Lula Lake Land Trust. From there south to
136, sight lines are mostly good, with a few curves, but not too
sharp. There are no paved shoulders on either 157, 189, or 136 in
Georgia; can't remember about the Alabama part of the parkway. South
of 136, the road narrows a bit, but it's pretty all the way down.

136 has some pretty good rollers on the sides of the mountain. The
northwest rollers are long, with moderate transition, so sight lines
are good. On the southeast side, there's three sharp rollers; traffic
can't see over the tops, so you'll have to be alert there. In
between, it's relatively flat.

Hwy 189 is pretty to drive, but I wouldn't want to bike it. Steep
rollers, winding road, no sight lines. As I recall, the steepest part
is going south just before you get to Burkhalter Gap Rd., which you've
got to see to believe. I'd go to the east side of the mountain and
take 157.

In Georgia, 157 and 136 have good pavement. Last time I went up 189,
it was OK, but not as good as the other two. The north part of the
Alabama section needed paving 3-4 years ago, but the pavement got
better as you went south.

Dad started biking along 157 in the evenings this summer, and reported
no problems with cagers. I'd be cautious around commuting times and
when school lets out because of impatient drivers and the size of the
lanes. Traffic on 157 and 189 will be lighter than on the
cross-mountain roads (GA 136 and AL 48?). 136 in particular gets some
truck traffic avoiding Chattanooga by going over the mountain.
Traffic on the southern end, near Desoto Falls, is heaviest nearest
Ft. Payne.

To sum up, ride in the middle of the day (or early on weekends), take
a triple for the areas I mentioned as steep, stay alert, and have fun!

Pat

Email address works as is.