Old February 20th 11, 03:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

Default There are tyre levers, and tyre levers

On 2011-02-19, Rob (aka Bruce)
Owen wrote:
Had a couple of sets of really good levers, but lost them over time.
Anyway, having trouble with a tyre decided to try a lever that came in
a kit from an unnamed German controlled store.

Lasted a microsecond.

In all my years, never ever had a lever break. Oh well, always a first
time.

There is a technique in removing a tyre - not just using the levers to
force the bead over the rim. Loosen the tyre fully and make sure the
tube hasn't been caught under the bead. Start and finish at the valve.

Some tyres can be removed by hand and I usually replace all tyres by hand.

I have one plastic lever (has clip molded on) clipped on the seat tube -
has never failed.

I have a set of plastic levers that has lasted 15 years.

I have a set apparently made from cheese that easily bent and broke
the first time I used it.

Cheap crap is cheap crap.

--
TimC
Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek. --unknown