Old October 28th 03, 04:15 AM
Dan Daniel

Default pedal wrench size

On 28 Oct 2003 03:53:20 GMT, David Reuteler wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:
: It may work, but an allen head is not as strong as regular wrench flats. Pedals
: can be hard to break loose, and there's a good chance the allen head will strip.
: So use the stronger, 15mm wrench flats, and leave the 6mm allen for emergencies.

grrrr..

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....com&frame=off
-or-
http://tinyurl.com/smse

i've not been happy with Time for this.

As someone mentions in that thread you reference, you don't need to
use a lot of torque installing pedals. I have never rounded out an
allen-head stem bolt, which usually takes more force than a pedal. And
when I have used an allen on pedals, I had no worries about rounding
out the hole.

Still, allen bolts will be more sensitive to any tolerance problems. A
slightly loose opening and/or a slightly small wrench.... I'd agree
with Matt that flats are safer- more forgiving. But I wouldn't avoid
allen bolts; just recognize the possible problem. With pedals, be
certain to grease the threads.