Old June 25th 04, 03:16 AM
Mike Kruger

Default Bicycle trailers:

"The Queen of Cans and Jars" wrote in message
why on earth would you put a milk crate on your rack instead of

pannier
bags?

i've never had any problem fitting everything i needed to fit into my
pannier bags. and, as an added bonus, i don't have to ride around with
a friggin' milk crate on my rack.

don't get me wrong - if it works for you, okey doke. i'm not interested
in arguing with you about it. but i think that it's aesthetically and
functionally inferior, and that even if you don't want to use panniers
there are far better solutions.

you go on with your bad milk crate, though. have fun with it.

1. A milk crate costs about $3 at a hardware store, and most people already
have one. Panniers are more expensive.
2. The dorky look of a milk crate serves as an effective anti-theft device
for the entire bike. It marks the rider as somebody not worth mugging,
because how much money could they possibly have? Certainly it's hard to
imagine stealing the milk crate itself. Panniers make a bike look more
attractive, and can be stolen easily if left on the bike.
3. The milk crate doesn't need any extra attention in rain.
4. You can stick a backpack in a milk crate more easily than in panniers,
which is an advantage for students.
5. No heel strike problems with a milk crate.
6. The back of the milk crate makes a nice surface for bumper stickers
containing the irritating political slogan of your choice.

I've used both, and prefer panniers. The humble milk crate is not without
appeal, however.