Old February 9th 18, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-06 13:07, Ian Field wrote:

"sms" wrote in message
news My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all.
Taking
it apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too
good for it to stop working that soon. These lights don't have
user-replaceable batteries, but by removing two screws I was able to
open it, and the battery pack does have a connector on it so at
least
they didn't solder it directly to the printed circuit board.

It's a 2 cell 18650 pack with the batteries in parallel, and a
protection circuit board shared between the two cells. The cells are
allegedly 2800mAH, for a total of 5600mAH. The closest I could find
on-line was a 2x2600mAH parallel pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B003SH4BV6.

I moved the connector from the old pack to the new pack, plugged it
in, and closed it up. Seems to work fine now.

My favourite is recycle bin rescues - with a £0 price tag; life
expectancy isn't something to get traumatised about.

Most laptop packs are 2 or 3P-3S, you can split them up as series or
parallel pairs A/R.

In many areas they won't let you dive into recycling bins. You'd
almost have to lie in wait, dart out and yell "Yo, don't hand over
that laptop just yet!". Otherwise when it's in there it's in there and
not coming back out.

Most don't take any notice - one that said no has the bin next to
customer service desk, reconnaissance on the way in - anything interest
and i make use of the seating and wait for the clerk to nip out.

In the country you live in maybe. In the US there may be a nasty
surprise waiting when trying to leave the store with the treasure,
later followed by a police cruiser for a ride into town but not to the
destination you intended.

Someone might drop packaged security tagged batteries in there.

No, just the regular recycling stuff. It's illegal to pilfer and carry
out. Plus the store wants to avoid it for liability and fraud reasons. All
it takes is the hidden security camera trained on that bin and they'll
nail you at the entrance.

The shop that said no for those reasons so far hasn't done so.

the shop with the unwisely placed bin - I put a rescue laptop pack on the
counter with my purchases and the checkout girl tried to scan it, i told her
where it came from and she just shrugged.

The last shop on my way across town usually requires a sit down to rest
before completing my journey - the seat is right next to the bins. Someone
had dumped a carrier bag of assorted batteries next to the bins - what was
any use to me took care of what isn't supposed to go in the tubs. no one
took much notice while I sorted through them and tipped the remainder into
the tubs. The security guard usually waits in that corner, but he spotted
something across the store that he needed to look in. I'd asked him on a
previous occasion and he asked one of the store staff - they said OK, so now
I just go for it.