Old October 30th 18, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default bicycle lane in Melbourne

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 19:32:46 -0400, Joy Beeson wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:27:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nraged-driver-

deliberately-sideswipes-cyclist-throw-mans-bike-bushes.html

What struck me about that story -- what ALWAYS strikes me about such
stories, unfortunately -- is that it said that the would-be killer was
charged with reckless driving and fined, but there isn't a word anywhere
about buying a new bike or reimbursing Australia's national medical-care
system.

I don't even hope to see a miscreant asked to pay the non-medical
expenses caused by an injury.

I don't know about the state of Victoria, Aus, where this incident took
place, but in NSW, you can make a claim against the driver in a Small
Claims Court for your expenses in the matter. It is a balance of
probability basis of decision and I susdpect that film would be enough to
get your claim granted. If your claim is successful, the defendant
(driver)can pay up or join the treadmill of the sherrif of the court
seizing their property and auctioning it off until debt is paid and
sherrif's expenses are covered. Caveat, limit of $10,000 and if their
counter claim(if any) takes the total over $10,000, it has to go through
the big. expensive court.

I too am surprised that that was all the vehicle driver was charged with.
I can only hope that incident brings him to the "further intention of
police".