Old November 9th 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cold weather, sore throat

On 11/9/2018 1:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 20:40:35 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 10:22:22 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
For the past few years, my winter riding has fallen off to just a few
miles at a time. The main reason is, I seem to be very susceptible to
sore throats after I ride in the cold. Some of the sore throats have
degenerated into scary bronchitis.

I'm just curious if anyone else battles this problem, and if anyone has
any tips on preventing it.

- Frank Krygowski

Hi there Frank. I use one of these masks from a Dollar store when the
air temperature is cold and I might be breathing heavily. It works
marvelously - like having a heater for your air.
https://www.horme.com.sg/product.aspx?id=3981
Cheers

That type of mask will probably be good enough. However, if it
doesn't work, look into various "cold weather breathing masks" such
as:
https://www.hammacher.com/product/subzero-warm-breath-mask
The description explains how it works. There are also full face
versions and those with attached goggles, which will probably not be
necessary. Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=cold+weather+breathing+mask&tbm=isch

Just the thing for riding to the bank to make a withdrawal!

--
- Frank Krygowski