Old July 16th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 2018-07-15 15:01, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

We met at a coffee shop this morning, but I didn't partake. Got up to
95F, and I ran out of water, so I stopped at a market with my
cohorts. Also stopped for a little ferry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEfIcrKZesw&t=3s What a beautiful day
it was. No pubs. Yesterday was a death ride with my son, and no pubs
-- although I did have a beer at home, and Tylenol. Obviously two
no-fun rides because they didn't involve a pub of any kind.

Somewhere between 95-100F yesterday, did a 20-miler after church.

http://mikebikehike.com/wp-content/u...6/IMG_0140.jpg

No, this ain't my bike. In contrast to some here who find that "unusual"
lots of people in our area ride with panniers. For longer rides in hilly
terrain without water spigots there is no alternative other that
schlepping a hydration pack which will result in profuse sweating. Or
drink American River water and get E-Coli.

Oh, and I had an IPA on the way back 8-)

Again, you're mixing road and trail. That's a road bike with panniers with probably 28mm tires and, gasp, ordinary rim brakes. It's not going trail riding any time soon.

I don't think it's unusual to see road bikes with panniers. I probably saw 20-30 cyclists with panniers on the way to work this morning. I think its unusual to need panniers with tons of junk in them for a recreational weekend ride with friends, and in your case, drinking at a pub. I suppose if the table is wobbly, you could always find something in your panniers to shim it. It's always good to have rope, particularly if you want to practice your knots while drinking.

I take no position on what is necessary for the brutal, godforsaken, mountain lion infested trail riding around Cameron Park. You might need air support for all I know.

-- Jay Beattie.