Old May 13th 19, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Wheel/Spoke Magnets

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 6:57:02 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Some wireless magnets NEED to be mounted close to the rim in order to be picked up by the sensor which also needs to be as close to the actual computer unit as possible. I had a wireless computer that had intermittent readings and readings far in excess of my actual speed. Those problems were corrected when the magnet and sensor were moved as far up the wheels and fork as possible. It seems that the distance that the sensor was from the computer was a critical factor with that computer as it was a very short range from the sensor to the unit that worked.

As I think I mentioned, my folding bike's wireless cyclometer lost the signal
from it's magnet and sender when the weather was cold. The small wheel diameter
meant the sender to cyclometer distance was within the unit's maximum separation
according to the manual, but just barely.

I finally solved the problem by mounting the cyclometer on a plastic stub in
front of the handlebar. It seems the handlebar itself was partially blocking
the radio signal.

- Frank Krygowski