Old May 10th 04, 06:17 PM
Marlene Blanshay

Default landrider

wrote in message
Does anyone out there have any info on "landrider" bikes..pro or cons

I think that most people who say that a bicycle is too difficult or

confusing
to shift either....

A. Have only ridden a bike from many years ago with friction shifting.
B. Ridden a bike with poorly adjusted indexed shifting.

Before I bought a good bicycle with indexed shifting, my only experiences

were
with a Huffy w/friction shifting, a Murray with a double chainring only,

an
old bike with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed, and finally single speeds with

coaster
brakes.

An infomercial company could probably make money selling bikes with

*indexed*
shifting as the main selling point since many people don't realize the
technology has changed over the years!

I think the landrider is definelty aimed at those who have outmoded or
outdated or just wrong ideas about bikes, that they're 'complicated' or
'fancy'. JUst this weekend there was an article about 'funny bikes' in our
local paper, ie bents, electrics, cruisers, and other odd looking bikes, and
why people like them. One woman said she liked her cruiser because she
didn't want a 'fancy' mountain bike. Well, whatever suits her, she probably
just rides the bike a few blocks here and there, but I'd hardly call my
mountain bike fancy. And truthfully,with the shape some of our roads in the
city,you're better off with a mountain bike. I'd be nervous going over a
pothole or bump with one of those cruisers!