Old November 7th 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Default Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling?

Mile for mile, unicycling is harder work than biking at the same speed.

But I don't ride my bike at the same speed as the unicycle - I just
can't ride a unicycle at 20mph. On the bike, you have a lot of control
over how hard it is - because as you get faster, it becomes less
efficient, so you can make it really hard to do 10 miles, which is
harder than unicycling, or just pootle along at 15mph for 10 miles which
is easier than unicycling.

On a road bike, you can choose exactly how hard you're exercising at
any point. That's why most fast mountain bikers train for fitness on
road bikes.

So yeah, I think mile for mile, unicycling isn't as any harder than
road biking (and is probably less hard), assuming you ride hard on the
road bike, and for a given time, you can do more exercise on a road
bike.

The big advantage of unicycling, is that it is super fun. I like my
road bike, but, 9 times out of 10, if I'm out for a fun ride, I'll go
for a muni.

Joe

--
joemarshall