Old November 8th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Default Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling?

boisei;1127574 wrote:
Somebody above said that biking is better exercise mile per mile but
that's demonstrably false. Mile per mile you are working harder on a
unicycle. No coasting means that you are working as hard or harder to
move forward on a unicycle, and then you sink a positive amount of
energy into balance that you do not on a bicycle.

That's not right. I think, if you go a mile at 26 mph on a bike, you
use way more energy per mile than doing a mile at 15 mph on a unicycle.
So, if you go out and do a 10 mile ride on a bike, you can potentially
tire yourself out more than a 10 mile ride on a unicycle. It's because
energy used vs speed is not a linear relationship, thanks to air &
rolling resistance.

You're only right if you ride at the same speed on the bike and the
unicycle. I think as you get to high speeds on the bike, the
inefficiency due to air resistance and rolling resistance become high
enough that you're less efficient per mile than the unicycle.

On my commute, I find I can make myself way more tired by hammering it
on the bike than hammering it on the unicycle, because I can ride so
much harder on the bike. And that's a fixed distance.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'