Old November 11th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

Default Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling?

Conrad.Nguyen;1102267 wrote:
Mile per mile maybe, but hour per hour I'd have to disagree. It really
depends on the person though. Potential for better exercise goes to
biking rather than unicycling.

Running shouldn't be that hard on your knees or spine if you have
correct form. You will get a lot more fit running than MUniing for the
same amount of time, assuming you run and don't jog.

Lifting weights does nothing for aerobic, but it doesn't mean nobody
should lift weights. Lifting weights builds muscle which burns calories
even after you're done lifting. So if you want improved fitness, lifting
weights should be included in your overall workout plan.

Hour per hour is a better measurement. I can keep a target heart rate
for as long as I can push myself. I ride a series of small hills for
almost an hour.

Running is high impact. More things in the body are shaken up. Like
banging on your razor to clean out the whiskers. It's hard on it and
shortens the life. It's better to brush it.

Weight lifting can be aerobic if you do a speedy circuit. Quick reps
with little rest.

skilewis74;1102311 wrote:
Unicycling, swimming, rock climbing and wresling give me the best
workouts of the sports I've tried (but rock climbing and wresling are
hard to do constantly, so the workout is often less).

Also, rollerblade/ice skating is a great workout using a lot of
muscles. But it's hard for me to find a good place to get the full
stokes and good speed.
Swimming is great; sometimes perfect. But I think sometimes it's
almost too low impact.
Stand up paddle surfing uses every muscle without trying. Paddle hard
if you want aerobic.

chuckaeronut;1127019 wrote:
but it's not consistently aerobic like what you can do on a road bike
unless you're going up a perfectly smooth fire road with something like
a 10% grade (assuming you're on a 24ish inch wheel).

You don't need a perfect cadence for perfect aerobic workout. Muni can
go as hard as you want. Just don't stop. Usually we muni not for the
workout but for the fun. It nice to rest on the ride and play on some
fun lines.

Lastly, I pretty sure a unicycle uses a lot of muscles(much more than a
bike). Lots of upper body muscles are involved without putting pressure
on your hands, neck, and lower back.

I heart unicycles!!

--
critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!