Old February 12th 08, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robert so n

Default Daytime running lights

bornfree wrote:
On 12 Feb, 02:51, Martin Dann wrote:
Another pearl of wisdom from our masters in europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...08/02/10/nligh...

unsafety minister, said: "The UK has been successful in arguing
against the introduction of mandatory use of dipped headlamps during
daylight hours by drivers of existing vehicles.
'However, from early 2011 all new types of passenger cars and light
vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in
accordance with the relevant European directive. By summer 2012 all
new vehicles will have to be so fitted.

Which will simply reduce visibility etc, and make the roads more hazardous
for us.

Martin.

What utter madness.

I don't think it will effect me much though. When cycling in the
daytime there is a much brighter light that can effect your
visibility. It's called the sun.

From what I understand, some bus companies already instruct their
drivers to drive with dipped lights during the day. It is claimed to
reduce accidents by something like 20%. I guess that on balance it might
save lives but, taking our case in isolation, it might not be good for
cyclists.

Brian.